Friday, July 26, 2013

Two weeks in!

7-22-13

Hello,

The area I live in is the richest in the mission and is very nice.  So it will all be down hill from here when we transfer.  I haven't met the Brookes (some people I know from Idaho), but the Crowder's are in our ward, so maybe I'll meet them soon.  I am in the Vanderbilt ward, too.  I can't send pictures just yet because I'm about out of time to email, so I'll try to next week.  Sorry.  As for experiences, I got to see the ocean for a few minutes for the first time, and it was AWESOME!  It was cooler than I expected-just because it never ends in any direction, and I took a few pictures.  We rode bikes most of the week to our appointments and it was fun except that there are nats everywhere and it's really annoying.  Saturday evening we were knocking on doors and we ran into some neat situations.  The first guy was from Scotland on vacation and he wan't interested.  The second door, a hispanic guy answered and he let us right in to his house to talk to him and he spoke very little English.  I did my best to use the 10 words of Spanish I know and communicate with him and it actually worked out good.  He was excited, and we just gave him the Spanish missionaries phone number so they could continue to teach him.  The next door was a Hindu guy who spoke no English, but it was cool to see all the weird decorations on his house.  We just gave him a card and left.  As we were leaving, some guy was yelling at us down the street to come over to him, so we did.  He wanted us to talk to his friend that I guess had been cheating on his wife and had gotten his secret girlfriend pregnant.  He thought that we might be able to help, and we said that we would talk with him, but I honestly was just thinking "oh crap, I don't know what to say other than, uhh...you messed up big time."  Luckily though, when the guy came out, he was so drunk that he couldn't even stand or think straight.  He thought that Elder Lott and I were pilots.  So we told his friend that we would stop by another time and talk to him.  Other than that, the rest of the week has been pretty regular.  We are just trying to find new investigators to teach.  Mail should be sent to my apartment because then it won't take 2 weeks to get here.  It's much quicker to send it to my apartment address.  I finally got my helmet.  The plane ride was awesome, but I didn't get to look out the window since there was a guy there who closed it and went to sleep the whole flight.  I am thinking about getting a G.P.S., but I don't know if I want to because it's like $100.  A lot of missionaries have one and they said it helps a ton.  Other than that, all is going well.  Dad, thanks for sharing your experience in the temple and how life prepares us for the future, and the events that we participate in.  Also, about how other's have influenced my life so far.  That's pretty neat.  I have definitely thought back already, and I can think of a list of people who have done that for me as well, and you and mom are at the top of the list.  I am really enjoying it out here and I am learning everyday. I try my best to teach and work by the Spirit, and it's working out good so far, but there are instances where I don't have it and it stinks.  Anyway, love ya!

Love,
Elder Whaley

No comments:

Post a Comment