Wednesday, August 21, 2013

First Baptism

8-19-13

That's cool that Jacob Owens is heading to Atlanta soon.  That's where our first layover was when heading to Tampa, and honestly, there was about 90 percent black people.  hahah.  We tried talking to a few of them, but they were all really strange.  But, Jacob will do well there.  Also, how you were talking about Brandon Somsen in australia, we also do a lot of tracting and it is pretty much the same stuff.  People will look at us through their windows and not answer them, or they will yell"who is it?" and we do get doors slammed in our face, as well.  It's not fun at all, but it's what we do.
I get fed by the members pretty often for dinners and we get $140 bucks on a card each month and that has been enough so far.  My bike is working fine and I actually put electrical tape all over it so that it's pure black and doesn't look as good.  I don't need any recipes yet.  I've just been eating cereal, ramen noodles (big shocker), toaster strudles, waffles, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so far.  I'll tell you some of the things I've learned in a letter sometime because there is soooo much.  I don't know what my favorite thing is yet, but my least favorite thing is doing paper work and dealing with records and all of that boring stuff.  I don't think I need anything from home, but I was thinking about getting a GPS because everyone says that they are so helpful out here, but I also know they are about $100-$200.  So I'll think about it.  I also was thinking about getting a nicer camera because the one I have now is glitching a lot and doesn't take that great of pictures.  We hand out some Books of Mormon, but you don't need to send any because I'll probably just lose them.  Also, you haven't told me if you ever contacted Elder Lott's mom.  I'm guessing that you probably just looked her up on Facebook huh?  (I actually called Elder Lott's mom on Monday and visited with her for about 45 minutes.  We had a great visit about our boys!  They are both so similar and work really well together!)  Also, I've been putting pictures on Dropbox, so they should just be there.
This Saturday, the Arsenault's got baptized and Lance, the dad, did it.  We gave him the Aaronic priesthood 5 minutes before and he did the baptisms for his wife and two boys.  (He didn't say who baptized the father).  Sunday, I got to do the confirmation for the mom and Elder Lott and someone else did it for the boys in Sacrament.  It was an amazing experience.  Also, just last night, while we were riding bikes, I just about ran into some guy who pulled out in front of me and he asked if we were Jehovah Witnesses.  I told him that we were LDS missionaries.  I started talking to him about what we do and then I just started teaching him about the Restoration while we were riding our bikes.  Elder Lott was in front of us while I just taught the whole thing.  It went surprisingly well and we gave him a Book of Mormon and he agreed to meet with us and let us teach him.  That was a really cool experience for me.
I also have to tell you about Maggie Martin this week.  I will include that story in the next letter I send home, but I just have to say, Wholly crap, that was the scariest and funniest thing that has happened to me out here so far.  (I can't wait to hear that story)
Haha-guess what?  I cut my own hair this week.  I'll post a picture of it on Dropbox.  I did a pretty good job, too.  I just bought some $10 clippers from Walmart and did it myself.
Love you, and thanks for the letter, postage stamps and talks in that package!  I really appreciate it!

Love,
Elder A. Whaley

Another pic of the HUGE truck he thought was awesome!

The Skyway Bridge

The Skyway Bridge (different angle)

Skyway Bridge

Elder Austin Whaley (with his bobble head), their
District Leader, and Elder Lott)

The Rays' baseball field (Tropicana Field)

Some of the LDS missionaries singing the
National Anthem before the game.


Austin's faux hawk before he shaves it off.

Austin with other missionaries

Elder austin Whaley and Elder Lott with the
Arsenault family before their baptism.

No comments:

Post a Comment