Sunday, February 16, 2014

Learning New Skills!

2-10-14

I totally miss the snow!  Not the cold, but the snow.  This week was a bit more exciting than last week.  I got to take a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class from a less active member where he taught us a bunch of ground fighting techniques.  It was all super cool.  I can't remember what style of Jiu-Jitsu we use to take, but this was completely different.  I remember that we learned a lot of standing self-defense when we took it, but this was all ground stuff.  He also had us do a kettle bell workout that was super exhausting.  Apparently, he went to Russia and learned a lot of what he knows by having a bunch of professionals basically beat him up so he could see how they fought.  He has been doing it since 2009 and he is super good.
Saturday we went to go help build a house for Habitat for Humanity and I learned a lot about construction.  The Church was building this particular house and we started at 8a.m. and went till 3:30p.m. for the day.  We constructed the walls and put siding on all of it.  I have some pictures that I will upload so that you can see.  Right after that, we went to a new move-in and helped them cut down a tree.  So, I got to learn how to use a chainsaw.  It was pretty fun and quick.  I have some pictures of that as well.
This week was a whole lot of service and I loved it since I haven't had too many opportunities to give service for others.  Everyone usually turns us down because we are dressed too nice and they don't want us to get dirty.  I'm still trying to figure out this area and get to know the people, but it's coming along, and I love working with Elder Fisher.  He is awesome!  I may possibly end up getting a new companion, though, because he has to get knee surgery soon and so he might be heading home to do that and recover, so we'll see what happens.  Love you!

Love,
Elder A. Whaley



No comments:

Post a Comment